The Girls Soar! Aviation Day introduces girls in grades 3 – 12 to the amazing world of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) and to real-world applications in the airline industry. Our objective is to expose girls to positive and inspiring female role models in STEM and aviation-related careers. By doing so, we hope to ignite a passion for aviation and to fuel dreams of careers in this ever-growing field. We want girls who participate in this event to feel empowered and excited about the possibilities for their future!
The event will be held on March 28, 2020 from 12:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Space is limited! Registrations will be opening soon.
For girls in grades 3-12
- Interactive panel of women speakers who are changing the aviation industry (pilots, engineers, meteorologist, etc.)
- Small group chats with experts in the industry (including pilots, engineers, mechanics, flight attendants, etc.)
- Career Preparedness workshop with airline professionals (Grades 8-12)
- Flight Simulators
- STEM workshops and activities
- Scavenger Hunt
- Innovation Competition (Grades 5+)
- Partners booths and career fair
12:30pm – 1:00pm Check-in
1:00pm – 1:15pm Welcome and Keynote
1:15pm – 2:00pm Session 1
2:10pm – 2:55pm Session 2
3:05pm – 3:50pm Session 3
4:00pm – 4:45pm Session 4
4:45pm – 5:00pm Innovation Challenge Awards
- This event is free with paid admission (discounted group rate applies: $4/adult,$4/child). CR Smith Museum members and AA employees and family members (D2’s) receive free admission.
- Adults and children who are not participating in the workshops do not need to register but entry into the museum requires paid admission.
If you have any questions please call contact Marieeve.email@example.com.
Do you have an innovative idea that could change air travel? If so, this challenge is for you!
We are looking for teams of creative, forward-thinking, and ingenious young people who want to compete in our Innovation Challenge which will take place during the Girls Soar! Aviation Day March 28, 2020.
Gather your friends, brainstorm about challenges related to air travel, and come up with a new and original product, service, or idea which would make traveling by air more enjoyable and/or more efficient. You will have 3 minutes to present your idea to our panel of expert judges. Winners will receive a prize, and will be featured on the Museum’s social media!
To enter the competition:
- Gather a group of a minimum of 2 girls and of a maximum of 5 participants (Coed is ok, as long as the team is composed of a minimum of 50% girls),
- Select a name for your team,
- Brainstorm challenges related to air travel,
- Invent or create a solution to improve at least one of the challenges of air travel,
- Create a 3 minute presentation* supported by a Powerpoint or MP4 uploaded on a USB drive,
- Register for the Girls Soar! Aviation Day (main event),
- Arrive prepared to present your idea to the judges on the day of the event,
- Present your idea to the judges (3 minutes) and be ready to answer the judges’ questions (3 minutes).
- Attend the reward ceremony (on March 28, right after the last session of the day) to find out if your team has the winning idea for the 2020 Girls Soar! Innovation Challenge